Each time you partner with Unto™, you express the kindness of Jesus though humanitarian assistance, which helps our Cru® partners gain access, build credibility, and increase their effectiveness in sharing the hope of Jesus with people living in the toughest places on earth.
Not only can you donate today, you can leave a legacy of kindness through estate planning and non-cash gift options. By planning a gift through your overall financial and estate plans, you can impact more people without touching your checkbook.
Unto™ Legal Information: If you include Unto in your plans, please refer to our legal name and federal tax ID.
Legal Name: Unto, Inc.
Address: 2001 West Plano Parkway, Suite 2200, Plano, TX 75075
Federal Tax ID Number: 95-4578963
Give Appreciated Securities
Donating appreciated securities, including stocks or bonds, is an easy and tax-effective way for you to make a gift to Unto. This is especially true for stock held longer than one year.
- Avoid paying capital gains tax
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction this year
- Stock can be used to fund a gift that can provide lifetime income for you or you and your spouse if married
Make Your Gift Today by Electronic Transfer
Simply download the “Transferring Stock Shares” document for delivery instructions to make a transfer from your brokerage account to Unto or call 1-800-778-7806.
Send Us Your Gift by Mail
If you hold securities in certificate form, you will need to use two envelopes to complete your gift. Place the unsigned stock certificate(s) in one envelope. In the other include a signed stock power for each certificate. You may obtain this from your broker or bank. Please remember to use certified mail and send to:
2001 West Plano Parkway, Suite 2200
Plano, TX 75075
Give From an IRA
In 2015 Congress enacted a permanent extension of the IRA charitable rollover. As a result, individuals age 70½ or older can make gifts directly from their IRA to Unto.
You may be looking for a way to make a big difference to help further express humanitarian kindness in the toughest places on earth. If you are 72 or older, you can make a gift directly from your IRA with no income tax due on the withdrawal amount. An IRA charitable rollover is a way you can help serve people in the toughest places and receive tax benefits this year.
- Avoid taxes on transfers up to $100,000 from your IRA to Unto.
- Satisfy all or part of your required minimum distribution (RMD) for the year.
- Reduce your taxable income, even if you do not itemize deductions.
- Make a gift that is not subject to the adjusted gross income deduction limits on charitable gifts.
Download the “IRA Charitable Rollover” document for instructions.
How an IRA Charitable Rollover Gift Works
- Contact your IRA plan administrator to make a gift from your IRA to us.
- Your IRA funds will be transferred directly to our organization to help more people experience humanitarian kindness.
- Please note that IRA charitable rollover gifts do not qualify for a charitable deduction.
- Please contact us if you want your gift to be used for a specific purpose.
Establish a Donor Advised Fund (DAF)
If you are looking for a deduction but want more time to make thoughtful giving decisions, consider a Donor Advised Fund (DAF). Unto can help you use your tax-deductible gift to establish your own Donor Advised Fund. You can make grants from your DAF now and later to support our work and other causes you care about.
You may qualify for a charitable income tax deduction in the tax year the asset is placed into the DAF. If you fund your DAF with appreciated property (such as stock or real estate), you may be able to avoid capital gains taxes on those gifted assets. You also have the flexibility to give out of your DAF to the charities of your choice now or over time.
- Simplify tax planning by consolidating all your giving from one source.
- Unlike a private foundation, no mandatory distributions are required from a DAF.
- Investment growth in the fund is tax free so more can go to charity.
- Low minimum to open a fund makes it easy for all donors to participate.
With the Donor Advised Fund from Unto and The Cru Foundation®, you will receive wise counsel and personalized service from one of our qualified personal advisors. You will also be able to manage your account online, adding to the fund and making grants to the ministries you care about most.
The website and the personal advisor will give you the tools and knowledge you need to exercise stewardship of your investment while expressing the kindness of Jesus to people around the world.
The minimum initial deposit to start a DAF is $5,000. The Cru Foundation does not require that DAF distributions go to a Cru-related organization. We allow distributions to any qualified 501(c)3 (according to IRS rules) unless such charity’s purpose violates the core fundamental beliefs of Cru.
There are no mandatory distribution requirements. This means that you are not required to make a specified number of distributions from the DAF. The minimum grant (distribution) amount is $50.
Once the DAF is set up, the minimum deposit into the DAF is $500. You can manage the DAF account online or by calling The Cru Foundation office for assistance.
The Cru Foundation partners with a Christian wealth management firm, Cornerstone Management, that invests the funds held in our DAF pool. Currently, the wealth management fee charged by Cornerstone Management is an annual fee of .41% which is also charged on a rolling quarterly basis. All DAF administrators charge for the wealth management (investment) of the funds held in the DAF account.
The Cru Foundation assesses no administrative fees on DAFs. This means that more of your contributions are freed up to go to kingdom work or the qualified charity of your choice.
An annual investment advisory fee of 0.41% is applied to account on a quarterly basis. The investment mutual funds that make up the four fund investment profile options have internal fund fees which are not applied as separate, distinct charges. The Cru Foundation seeks investment fund options that offer low internal fund fees without compromising investment performance. The average internal fund fee across the funds in our investment profiles is in the range of 0.10% to 0.11%. While there is no guaranteed return on the DAF investments, the funds are invested conservatively with the goal of preserving the principal being held for charitable distributions. For DAF balances over $200,000 more investment options can be considered based on your risk tolerance.
Wills and Bequests
A charitable bequest is one of the easiest and most flexible ways you can leave a gift to Unto that will make a lasting impact.
- Receive an estate tax charitable deduction
- Reduce the burden of taxes on your family
- Leave a lasting legacy to charity
With the help of an attorney, you can include language in your will or trust specifying a gift to be made to family, friends, or Unto as part of your estate plan. You can also make a bequest using a beneficiary designation form.
How to Leave a Bequest to Unto
- Include a bequest to Unto in your will or revocable trust
- Designate Unto as a full, partial, or contingent beneficiary of your retirement account (IRA, 401(k), 403(b) or pension)
- Name Unto as a beneficiary of your life insurance policy
Types of Bequests
- Percentage bequest—make a gift of a percentage of your estate
- Specific bequest—make a gift of a specific dollar amount or a specific asset
- Residual bequest—make a gift from the balance or residue of your estate
Note: If you have been so generous as to include a bequest to Unto as part of your estate plan, please let us know using the contact form below. We would like to recognize you and your family for your generosity.
If you have questions about gifts of appreciated assets and stock, IRA charitable rollover, Donor Advised Funds, or leaving a bequest to Unto, send an email to our Development team using the form below.